Fire detector test and service equipment must be safe both for engineer and system. As a minimum it must comply with international codes and standards and be approved / endorsed by detector manufacturers and third party listing agencies but it also needs to be cost-effective, portable and versatile.
Requirements for testing of smoke detectors vary by country, the common need is for a functional test where smoke, or simulated smoke, is introduced through the vents of the detector to the sensor.
Functional testing is required by all national standards around the world, including BS: 5839, DIN 14675 and NFPA 72. A functional test should be carried out using an appropriate test tool which is designed for purpose and will cause no damage to the detector under test.
There are now two products within the Solo range that allow functional testing of smoke detectors – both of which are approved by leading detector manufacturers:
Solo 365 Smoke Detector Tester
This new method of smoke generation takes the Solo brand to the next level. Solo 365 generates smoke on-demand via non-pressurised smoke cartridges – it’s lighter to use, quicker to test and suitable for more applications.
- On-demand smoke – faster testing, less wastage, eliminates risk of contamination
- 15% lighter than Solo 330 – supports easy movement around site
- Slim-line design – allows easy access to hard-to-access detectors
- Auto LED torch – for simple testing in dark environments
- Clearing mode – prevents re-alarms
- Non-pressurised cartridge – easy storage & transportation
- Detector manufacturer approved.
Solo Smoke Aerosols
Approved all over the world, our Solo smoke aerosols (used with the Solo 330/332 dispensers) deliver smoke particles to the detector under test replicating the conditions of smoke from a fire. Our range of smoke aerosols has recently increased to allow continued use of our Solo 330/332 dispensers in full compliance with latest regulations.
All Solo smoke aerosols are:
- Detector manufacturer approved
- Designed for use with the Solo 330/332 dispensers
- Silicone free
- Solo A5 (Flammable) Smoke Detector Tester – UL & ULC Listed
- Solo A10 (Non-flammable, HFC-Free) Smoke Detector Tester
Functional checking of heat detectors, with a genuine heat source, is now required by major national standards around the world. Testing with heat sources not designed for the purpose can be both dangerous and damaging. The Solo range of heat detector testing equipment, designed specifically for the purpose, provides a genuine professional’s solution.
Solo 423 / 424 Heat Detector Tester (110 -> 240V)
Available in both 110 / 120 and 220 / 240 volt versions the Solo 423 and 424 are the professionals’ choice where cables and leads are acceptable. Unconstrained by energy availability they provide the quickest of test times and are, perhaps, most suitable for the highest temperature detectors.
- Suits fixed temperature, rate-of-rise and combination detectors up to 194°F / 90°C
- Quickest activation times
- Lightweight and simple to use
- Universal design suits widest range of detectors
- Designed for use at height, at angles and low level
- Supplied with 5m / 16ft cable (additional 5m / 16ft cable available).
Solo testers are available either as separate components or as complete kits – configured both by height and application. The price of complete kits is usually less than the sum of the component parts.
Kits are available with 1 or 2 3000mAh Battery Batons. The new battery batons (Solo770) and charger (Solo727) are also available separately to replace ageing batteries (Solo720 or Solo760) whose performance has deteriorated.
Many multi-sensor fire detectors detect carbon monoxide (CO) as well as smoke and / or heat. Under international codes and standards the CO cell needs to be functionally tested with a CO stimulus from the protected area through the detector vents to the sensor.
Solo C3 – used in conjunction with Solo 330 / 332 dispensers – provides a safe way of achieving this with CO concentration levels high enough to activate an alarm, but low enough not to pose danger to user health.
Solo C3 Carbon Monoxide Detector Tester *
- Detector manufacturer endorsed
- Genuine and non-flammable CO stimulus
- Controlled delivery
- Designed for use with Solo 330 / 332 dispensers
* Note: certain CO life safety detectors (as opposed to fire detectors with CO sensors within them) require a low concentration of CO sustained over a long period of time. Solo C3 and Solo 330 / 332 are unlikely in isolation to prove suitable for testing these detectors.